Friday 23 November 2007

Rob's online self has lost the inhibitions and fears

Rob, just out of university and married, is a graphic designer at a California office equipment and computer manufacturer. Like anyone else probably would, I liked Rob when I first met him. He was very friendly and eager to speak with me when we first met. He approached me to volunteer as an interviewee, and I later found that he only volunteered because he thought I am a woman. After finding out my gender, he continued to speak with me and I have noticed no difference in the way he speaks with me now that he knows that I am male. But as he disclosed his abusive activities to me, I began to feel a strong urge to betray the guarantee of anonymity I have made with him so that I could warn my online friends about him. Rob's online self has lost the inhibitions and fears which keep him from hurting people off-line

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...